


Aran Islands and Wool.Today Maddie and I read one of my favorite children's books, which I had purposefully not read in a while. We read about the process of sheep to wool to yarn. We watched a youtube video about spinning so Maddie could see what it looks like when wool is being spun into yarn. I showed her the yarn I bought from a sheep-raiser's home in Christmas Island, Nova Scotia many years ago. We compared its texture and feel to acrylic yarn. We talked about the lanolin in the wool that you can feel and how good it is for your skin. I told her about Mommy and Daddy's trip to the Aran Islands and the famous Aran wool; we looked at pictures. And lastly, I introduced her to one of my loves, crocheting.
I first remember my great-grandmother Nannie once teaching me a simple chain stitch when I was only 4 or 5. I never quite grasped it on that short visit to her. When I was 8, my Nana taught me to crochet. I crocheted a scarf...or should I say, I helped Nana crochet my scarf! Later Nana helped me make an afghan (which resides on Maddie's bed). I have since crocheted several afghans, many scarves and hats, a baby blanket for each of my kids, and I've taught quite a few friends along the way. With my guidance, Maddie was able to crochet a simple strand of about 15 chain stitches...which she promptly turned into a bracelet.
(Ireland, part one.)
(Ireland, part two.)
No comments:
Post a Comment