Wednesday, October 7, 2009

maddie visits hawaii - episode 4

We made 3 Hawaiian recipes that I found, though I'm not so sure about the authenticity of Hawaiian 'salsa'? BUT we did use a papaya, which does grow in Hawaii. Maddie took a picture of me cutting the papaya open. Neither had seen a papaya before, so I had them guess as to the inside color. Caleb said bwackkk! (his favorite color right now) and I think Maddie said pink.We cut up papaya, yellow pepper, tomato and kiwi, and added olive oil, chopped basil, vinegar, sugar, coconut, salt & pepper, and you're now saying, "And that's Hawaiian?" Yeah well, like I said, probably not the most authentic of recipes, but we did talk about fruits that grow on Hawaii while we were working. (I guess I'll have to do a bit more research on recipes before our Luau.)
Maddie and Caleb used butter knives to cut the fruits.
Let's see now, Caleb, can you open your mouth just a little bit wider?
However unauthentic it was, the kids had fun making it, they loved eating it, and if nothing else, they now know what a papaya is! :)

No comments: