...because by that point Caleb was running a fever. Yesterday Caleb's silliness returned, a sure sign he's on the mend, but now it's Maddie who is down and out. So far I am still fine, and golly I hope it stays that way! :)But moving on back to Caleb...last week Caleb got a large splinter under his toenail. How? Well, he said he found a tiny piece of poky wood on his bedroom floor (all our floors are wood) and he was picking at it with his toenail to try to break it off. Nice. Well, he broke it off all right, right up his toenail.
We had been soaking it last week, rubbing neosporin on it, Braden and I both tried unsuccessfully to remove the splinter, and we'd been checking it daily for any sign of infection. Well, Braden left Friday morning and Friday night once I had the kids all ready for bed I noticed Caleb's toenail bed was dark pink and his whole toe was pink. Long story short, I called the emergency line of our pediatrician, who immediately prescribed an antibiotic, and told us to come in Sat AM. I was afraid we'd have to go to the emergency room and they'd have to remove Caleb's toenail. I cringe just thinking about that! Our dr. couldn't even budge the splinter, but thankfully called the ER for us before sending us over. I am so glad he did that, because the ER doc said they would only remove the toenail and the splinter if it was severely infected, which Caleb's was not. Oh how relieved I was! Big thanks to my mother-in-law who picked up the Rx Friday night for me and came w/ me to the Dr's office for moral support.
We had been soaking it last week, rubbing neosporin on it, Braden and I both tried unsuccessfully to remove the splinter, and we'd been checking it daily for any sign of infection. Well, Braden left Friday morning and Friday night once I had the kids all ready for bed I noticed Caleb's toenail bed was dark pink and his whole toe was pink. Long story short, I called the emergency line of our pediatrician, who immediately prescribed an antibiotic, and told us to come in Sat AM. I was afraid we'd have to go to the emergency room and they'd have to remove Caleb's toenail. I cringe just thinking about that! Our dr. couldn't even budge the splinter, but thankfully called the ER for us before sending us over. I am so glad he did that, because the ER doc said they would only remove the toenail and the splinter if it was severely infected, which Caleb's was not. Oh how relieved I was! Big thanks to my mother-in-law who picked up the Rx Friday night for me and came w/ me to the Dr's office for moral support. Well, last night after another round of soaking, Braden tackled the splinter again and got the thing out! Hooray! The amazing thing all along has been that for over a week now, Caleb has been totally unbothered by the splinter in his toe.
No comments:
Post a Comment