I've had a number of friends ask what curriculum we're using this year. I definitely don't stick to one curriculum at all! I pull what I like and think is best (best quality and best for my kids) from all around. So here's my patchwork curriculum for this year:
Saxon Math 2 for Maddie, 1 for Caleb
I like Saxon math because it has a very strong spiral of elements. There is constant review and repetition which is crucial for math. I think it's rather on the simple side, which is why I went ahead and started Caleb in grade 1 this year.
Growing with Grammar 1 for Maddie
I just found out about GWG this year, and so far I really like it. It is inexpensive, and has simple straightforward worksheets teaching basic grammar rules. Maddie is able to complete it independently. It includes several reviews and tests as well. I started Maddie in the grade 1 because I want to make sure she doesn't have gaps.
First Language Lessons for Maddie and Caleb
We began this book last year but never finished it. We're finishing it this year and will probably start level two as well. I like the general idea of this book, and Maddie and Caleb really enjoy it. But at the same time I feel like it lacks enough basic grammar instruction...thus the Growing with Grammar. I am actually really enjoying using the two together. Both are quick and simple, so it's minimal time and work to use both. I think they both have their strengths, and used together balance each other well.
Abeka Language 2 for Maddie, 1 for Caleb
These workbooks weren't really necessary academically for my kids, but I bought them primarily to increase Maddie's handwriting skills. They are simple colorful worksheets with varied activities. I only bought the workbooks, not the program, and they definitely can stand alone as a supplement. Both my kids really enjoy completing them. And already Maddie has written far more than she realizes! They don't have a K version, so Caleb is using 1 with my assistance.
Spell to Write and Read for both Maddie and Caleb
I think this is one of the very best phonics and spelling curricula around! The approach, word lists, and phonics instruction are what makes it so very good. It is a K and up program, meaning each year a child progresses farther and farther until s/he no longer needs spelling instruction. We primarily just utilize the spelling portion and don't go very far into the system, but at some point we may utilize more of the system. Be forewarned, though, the teacher's manual is awful (and the website is rather confusing too). It's better to just talk to someone who is using it if you are interested.
A Handbook for Reading for both Maddie and Caleb
This is for reinforcement of phonics. I've got an ancient copy, but it's just a good old helpful phonics handbook. Caleb reads one page per day, Maddie reads two.
Liberty Press' Phonics Readers 1-4 for Caleb
Maddie first used these and now Caleb is. They are simple phonics-based readers with cute stories and pictures. Many phonics-based readers are dumb stories (if you can even call them stories) or use odd words to try to make it fit the phonics instruction. These, on the other hand, are some of the cutest readers I've found. They are engaging and have fairly interesting stories and fun pictures.
Rod & Staff Grade 1 Readers for Caleb
We'll be moving into these later in the year.
Reading for Maddie
I compiled a list of books for her to read through this year from books we have accumulated. Some of the books she'll be reading are: Mr. Popper's Penguins, an Abeka Science reader, Miss Pickerell Goes Undersea, Misty of Chincoteague, a few Boxcar Children, and The Story of Flight. I tried to incorporate a wide variety: novels, mystery, non-fiction, historical, classics.
Writing with Ease for Maddie
This is a simple, classical writing program. Caleb will also start some copywork from here later in the year.
Story of the World 2 for Maddie and Caleb
We began SOTW last year and the kids just loved it. I think it's outstanding as well. We use the activity guide, choosing maps and crafts and sometimes extra reading books. We also complete narrations. We are currently memorizing all the rulers of England from Egbert to Elizabeth.
The Usborne Encyclopedia of Our World for Maddie and Caleb
This is our science book (we're following the approach from The Well-Trained Mind). We are also doing experiments from More Mudpies to Magnets that correspond to what we're learning, and we are completing various memory work. Right now we're memorizing the layers of the earth and their descriptions. We also are doing narrations. In January we will use The Usborne Encyclopedia of Space to guide our study of astronomy.
Health, Safety & Manners 1 & 2 for Maddie and Caleb
We are reading through both books this year. (Two will be basically a repetition of One, just expounding a little more.) They are old, the covers are ugly, but they are fairly engaging, and have simple fun activities to do sprinkled throughout. So far the kids are enjoying One. A simple way to cover "health."
Writing With Phonics Cursive 1 for Maddie and K5 for Caleb
These are the only workbooks I'm aware of that teach cursive to little ones. So, since I'm teaching my kids cursive instead of print, we're using it. The pages are cute and colorful and have a reasonable amount of writing to complete. Since Maddie has had difficulty with handwriting in the past (and she doesn't like to write), I bought Maddie the grade 1 book since it requires a little less writing and the spacing is just a bit bigger as well. She's actually doing wonderfully with it (her script is looking so beautiful!), so I think I was right on in choosing the lower level.
We're beginning our Bible memory by memorizing all the books of the bible. Later we'll learn more verses. We still use this system.
For art we are reviewing our art cards from last year and finishing the last ones we never got to. We are also incorporating art into our other subjects, wherever it makes sense. Like we drew the 'before' and 'after' of our latest science experiment. Other times it's incorporated into SOTW, like when we make some origami when we study Japan. If we don't have anything that's integrated, I bought I Can Draw People and I Can Draw Animals, so we complete one page from one of these books.
No comments:
Post a Comment