Monday, May 2, 2011

maisie makes a friend

As if Maisie's birth story wasn't amazing enough, here's the second amazing part of our journey.  On Thursday morning, I had gotten up with Maisie and fed her, then sat down and opened my ipad and started glancing at facebook statuses...not something I do daily by any means.  I saw a status update from my longtime friend Melanie.  I first met Mel in highschool when we both went to Mexico on a missions trip.  Following that trip, I visited her and she visited me and we've kept in touch over the years, sometimes often, other times a few years goes by before we reconnect again. Mel has moved around quite a bit, and we probably haven't seen each other for at least 15 years or so.  
So, back to facebook...I had known Mel was having her first baby and she knew I was adopting a baby girl, so I was happy to see her status update about the birth of her daughter, Kristen...she listed date, city, time of birth, weight and name.  I commented on her status, congratulating her...and then about 5 seconds later I realized she had listed the city of birth...and it was THE SAME SMALL TOWN we were currently staying in! I messaged her immediately telling her she had to call me and gave her my number.  What were the chances??!!
Mel called me, and she had not even been released from the hospital yet, but she was going to leave within an hour or so.  We made plans for her to take a nap, eat dinner and give me a call, and then we'd come over.  Mel and her husband's house was just FIVE MINUTES up the road from the timeshare we were staying in!
It was so fun!  Maisie met Kristen, and Mel and I got to meet each other's husbands.  We also got to see their cute little house that used to be a miner's shack that they renovated with reclaimed wood and retro appliances.  Love it!  

Thanks, Mel and Chris, for letting us come over despite the fact that you were tired and had just welcomed your girlie into the world.  It was so fun! 
What were the chances?!  That we would adopt a little girl born just 3 days before Mel gave birth to her daughter.  That not only would we be in the same state but we would be staying 5 minutes away from where Mel and Chris live.  That she would post her status on facebook the morning I happened to be looking at it, which happened to be the day before we left to return home.  It was pretty amazing!

3 comments:

kelly ploon said...

Is this the same Melanie from Mexico????? Wow!
So happy for you and Braden, she is such a precious little girl!

Katie said...

Ok, that is just wild. God is SO specific in His care for us!!

Amy said...

That's amazing!!