Sunday, December 26, 2010

christmas eve

We spent Christmas Eve over at my parents'. It proved to be a rather lowkey evening, as Maddie was running a low fever, had an irritated bloodshot eye, a sore throat, and started to complain of an earache. By the evening Caleb was deteriorating and started running that same low fever. I made tea to soothe sore throats, prepared cool cloths for hot heads, garlic oil for ear drops, gave doses of honey syrup, and bathed a bloodshot eye with sterile water.
One little sickie drinking tea. We let the kids open one gift that evening, their gift from Aunt Xenia & Uncle Ali. Caleb got some lace-up cards, which he immediately completed. A little later I was able to coax the little sickies into taking a Christmas Eve picture. Not too sick to be a little goofy!
After the kiddos went to bed early, we four adults played a game of Scrabble, which quickly became a battle between Braden and my dad...until the very end of the game. I was half-heartedly fiddling with my letters and realized I could use them all, and stole the game at the very end.
We stayed the night at my parents, so we would already be there Christmas morning. Gratefully, Christmas morning was not as I feared. Maddie woke up feeling almost normal and Caleb, though still a little grumpy and out of sorts, no longer had the fever.

No comments: