The only real pain of the job was having to mash and split (or slice) every single olive. That was a bit tedious! But it's a must, so that the bitterness can leach out.
Now about two weeks later, look at the color change! They're looking like olives now. The two jars on the left are undergoing a water curing, while the one on the right is undergoing a salt-water curing...which is going far better, I must say. Next year I'm thinking the salt-water cure is the way to go.
But we still have to wait a few more weeks to find out for sure. Once the bitterness is gone, the olives then have to cure briefly in a flavored brine. After that, they'll keep up to a year in the fridge. And for our olive-loving family, I hope they last that long!
Now about two weeks later, look at the color change! They're looking like olives now. The two jars on the left are undergoing a water curing, while the one on the right is undergoing a salt-water curing...which is going far better, I must say. Next year I'm thinking the salt-water cure is the way to go.
But we still have to wait a few more weeks to find out for sure. Once the bitterness is gone, the olives then have to cure briefly in a flavored brine. After that, they'll keep up to a year in the fridge. And for our olive-loving family, I hope they last that long!
No comments:
Post a Comment