This year for her birthday, Maddie opted for a doughnut tower over a cake. This decision was finally arrived at after numerous uninspiring ideas like apple cake that is shaped like a pumpkin with pink frosting...hmmm. I thought a doughnut 'cake' was definitely a good idea!

Besides, I've always wanted to try my hand at making doughnuts. However, I was doubtful as to whether or not they'd really turn out right. But I grabbed my recipe, mixed my dough, and put my kitchen staff to work helping me roll and cut, and then we set the doughnuts and the holes out to rise.

I took charge of the frying, and I really couldn't believe it when the doughnuts started coming out of the fry pot looking like REAL doughnuts! Braden and I broke open a hole to try--oh boy...amazing. Fluffy, light and airy.

Here's my master glazer hard at work. (He glazed over 3 dozen doughnuts plus the holes!)

Boy oh boy, don't they look yummy?! Maddie's request: chocolate glaze with rainbow sprinkles and plain vanilla glaze.

A happy Maddie and her doughnut birthday 'cake', crafted by Daddy.

And let me just say, the doughnuts were SOOOO good!! If you've never made your own doughnuts, you've got to
give them a try! You'll be glad you did.
1 comment:
Yum!! How fun and they look as good as they tasted I'm sure. I've never made real doughnuts either. You've inspired me. =)
Post a Comment