Friday, March 19, 2010

spaghetti squash

It's never been something I have enjoyed eating. I've seen recipes where you serve it like spaghetti, but come on, it's so not spaghetti. However, one spaghetti squash arrived in my local vegetable co-op bag. It sat in the fridge for a while, and finally I said to my mom--I've got to cook the thing, can I just steam it? Yes. Halve it, put it in a pot with some water, cover and steam for roughly 30 minutes. (Much better than roasting it, by the way.) That was step one. It then sat in the fridge for 2 more days.

Step two: now what do I do with it? Well, I had an inspired moment. I scooped it out of the skin, put it in a pot to warm with a healthy glug of cream, some garlic powder, salt, pepper & a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Oh yum! It was actually quite good.

No comments: