Tuesday, November 20, 2007

conversation of the day

Lately, it seems like Caleb wants to talk a whole lot more than he is able. He'll say, "Mommy?" and I'll respond, and then he'll pause and start again with "Mommy?" or he'll slowly try to say something or show me something. Today, a few minutes after a situation where Caleb had hit Maddie (something we've begun emphasizing to Caleb that he may not do), he walked over to me:
"Mommy? Mommy...Mommy?"
I could tell he wanted to say something, so I got down on his level and said, "What is it, Caleb?"
"Daddy...bey...bey...(and he made a serious face and looked down and said very slowly) ...Daddy...dee bey Daddy."
He was telling me he didn't obey his daddy!
"You didn't obey Daddy, did you? You hit Maddie."
Caleb looked down. (I think he had a little bit of a guilty conscience.)
"You need to obey Daddy, right?"
He smiled, "Bey Daddy!"
"That's right! You obey Daddy!"
And then he was off and playing again.

No comments: