Monday, February 5, 2007

Bread Pudding

Ever wonder what to do with those leftover pieces of bread, the bit of a loaf that quickly went dry and stale, the ends that no one seems to want? Make a little bread pudding! :) That's what I did the other day. Bread pudding is traditionally made out of stale bread (moldy, no! but dry, yes). If you use fresh bread, it will actually be too soft and kind of turn to mush.

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe to share, as I've made it so many times, I just mix various amounts of bread, eggs, milk and sugar together, depending on the amount of bread I have, and throw in the spices I'm in the mood for. However, you can find a recipe in most all-purpose cookbooks. * I would like to point out one step that I think is crucial but not all recipes include--soaking the bread. You've got to let the bread soak in the egg-milk mixture for at least 10 minutes before you pour it in the pan to bake. *

Give it a try, and I hope you like it!

No comments: