Thursday, May 6, 2010

garden update

Gardening season has hardly begun and I've already fought with stray cats, squirrels and myself. The stray cats scratched around and did doo-doo in my garden...I've since learned to sprinkle orange peels in the garden. The squirrels dug holes in my garden to bury their peanuts. I have since placed sticks throughout my planters and garden. One fine day we went to the zoo and I killed a good portion of my indoor seedlings. (That's classic me and gardening...things go along hummingly until one day disaster strikes.) Unfortunately I haven't yet got a remedy for myself!

But thank goodness there are other vegetables to grow! I'm trying a lot of variety this year, which is probably a good thing for me. The speckled romaine is growing beautifully. Hurray! I'm also growing bibb lettuce, but the romaine is growing far better.
The small patch of peas are also growing quite well...must be good weather for peas. My friend Jerusha said her peas are growing really well also. Mine are already climbing up the trellis I made for them.
It took me a few days to recover from the seedling fiasco, but I regrouped...bought 1 pepper seedling to get me started off with an early crop, and now have a few small pepper seedlings that will be a little late but should still produce. I had planted extra tomato seedlings (knowing my tendencies), so those few have saved the day as far as tomatoes go, though they are quite small still.

One thing I learned from the reading I did over the winter was to plant early crops in the same container (or plot) as a later crop. This utilizes space when you don't have much. For instance, I've got some of my green onions growing around my pepper plant. The green onions will be picked well before the pepper plant needs the entire pot for itself. Of course, a good half of the green onions didn't survive my stellar transplant job, but I planted a bunch...and every time I see them I can't help but think of onion spaghetti, yum! That's why I grew them!My carrots are doing great--I've got a pot full of them that we'll get to pick in the next week or 2, as well as more now coming up in the garden. Swiss chard, bushbeans, spinach and beets are all popping up, escarole and nasturtiums are doing well, more lettuce is appearing, marigolds and herbs are coming up. Indoors I've started miniature heirloom cantelopes, a cucumber plant, and 2 miniature squash bushes...waiting for those to sprout.

I'm trying new gardening techniques and a bunch of new vegetables this year, and--aside from killing off my seedlings--it's already been a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Jess said...

You are doing far better than me - I'll be happy if I can just keep my peppermint, lavender, and nasturium alive!

mindy said...

How do sticks keep squirrels away. They eat all of our stuff, including the jalapenos.

christy said...

I placed sticks in the dirt around the edges of each of my large planters and a few stick inside as well. I placed them in the dirt around the perimeter of my garden as well, and in rows every 12 inches w/ 1 or 2 inside each square as well. This has just made it undesirable or difficult for them to dig in the dirt and kept them away. My mom did it and it kept the squirrels out of her pots, so I tried it also, and so far it's worked. Once the plants are big, I'm not sure how much it will help if they are eating your produce. I also bought some deer/squirrel/rabbit repellent spray that I am using throughout the season. You might try that.