Tuesday, September 15, 2009

peaches

I made our favorite breakfast cake again, this time with some of the fresh peaches we picked.
The rest I sliced and froze up in 2 gallon size bags. Last year I learned from good ol' Martha Stewart that when freezing fruit, first spread the fruit across a cookie sheet, put the cookie sheet in the freezer for several hours until the fruit is frozen, then put the fruit in freezer bags. Now when I open my bags, I have individually frozen fruit so I can easily remove a small portion. A bit of extra prep time on the freezing end, but it's worth it in the long run.

And speaking of frozen fruit, along with those 2 bags of peaches, we have 5 bags of blueberries, 2 of strawberries, and 3 of blackberries--all from our summer picking. Now we will enjoy fruit smoothies, blueberries in our oatmeal, the occasional cobbler and other fruity treats throughout the winter months.

No comments: