The sad part of this tale is that I remember when I learned that anyone can make silver dollar pancakes. I thought only Grandpap had the special recipe for making silver dollar pancakes. Who else could do such a thing?! But I remember being a bit older and telling my mom I wished we could have silver dollar pancakes, and she told me she could makes some for us. I argued that only Grandpap knew how to make them, and she explained that it was the size that made them silver dollar pancakes. How disappointing...hers just weren't the same.
"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances." Martha Washington
Friday, April 24, 2009
silver dollar pancakes
Monday morning I was making pancakes and was reminded of one of my early memories: sitting at my grandparent's kitchen table watching Grandpap make me silver dollar pancakes, thus named for their size. I thought it was amazing. I don't remember where Jess was, and I don't think La was born yet. But there I was in their yellow kitchen thoroughly impressed with my grandpap--he was making silver dollar pancakes! And if that wasn't impressive enough, he then began to make me quarter pancakes, penny pancakes, and nickel and dime pancakes. If you know my Grandpap, you know he was talking it up, telling me stories and making it amazing to my little mind.
The sad part of this tale is that I remember when I learned that anyone can make silver dollar pancakes. I thought only Grandpap had the special recipe for making silver dollar pancakes. Who else could do such a thing?! But I remember being a bit older and telling my mom I wished we could have silver dollar pancakes, and she told me she could makes some for us. I argued that only Grandpap knew how to make them, and she explained that it was the size that made them silver dollar pancakes. How disappointing...hers just weren't the same.
Well, Monday morning I made some of our pancakes into silver dollar pancakes for Maddie and Caleb. Mine were not as good as Grandpap's--of course--but the kids really loved them. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the fun stories that Grandpap would have made up about them to wow my kids with silver dollar pancakes, but I did tell them about how Grandpap used to make them for me when I was little like they are. And, you know what? They thought that was pretty amazing!
The sad part of this tale is that I remember when I learned that anyone can make silver dollar pancakes. I thought only Grandpap had the special recipe for making silver dollar pancakes. Who else could do such a thing?! But I remember being a bit older and telling my mom I wished we could have silver dollar pancakes, and she told me she could makes some for us. I argued that only Grandpap knew how to make them, and she explained that it was the size that made them silver dollar pancakes. How disappointing...hers just weren't the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment