Saturday, April 4, 2009

half a superhero's party

Caleb got invited to Carson's superhero birthday party. In fact, we should still be there right now.
I know I mentioned that we bought a new van, but what I haven't mentioned is that we have hardly driven in it because we have been down and out with low-grade illnesses since a week ago last Thursday. In fact, I'm still not sure how we managed to get out and purchase that van. All I remember is feeling like I was going to pass out as we signed all the papers late one night.
I made Caleb this cape so he could go dressed as a superhero (SuperCaleb). All I sew is straight seams, folks...actually, don't tell anyone, but if you look closely, you'll see they aren't even straight. (And please don't turn the cape over or you will see how crooked I cut! ) But I did sew it to go under his arms kind of like a backpack to prevent choking. I thought that was kind of nifty.
...But back to all us sickies here. I thought we were on the mend, finally. Maddie was perky this morning and eating again. I was tired (too many sleepless nights) but feeling good. Caleb's been fine for a few days now. BUT...
...yep, that superhero yawn as we were getting ready should have been my first clue. We got in the car. We drove over to my parents to drop off Maddie, and literally I kid you not, I pushed the gear into park and Maddie threw up, just like that, as if on cue. Great! What do I do now? Well, I left her with two doting grandparents ready to meet her every need.
So Mr. SuperCaleb arrived at the party with me--with none of his costume on, though, because he didn't want to wear it--and within a few minutes I noticed how flushed he was. Took off his sweatshirt, probably just overwarm. Nope. Soon it was obvious he was running a fever, as he was snuggling up next to me, pressing his cheek on mine. So, we left the party, picked up sick Maddie, and came home. And here we are home again...still sick.

No comments: