Friday, September 14, 2012

braden's bday

So Braden's birthday was not exactly the most stellar of celebrations.  I knew it might be a little crazy between unpredictable Dukey and Maisie, who's been particularly fussy at dinner as of late.  So I determined to make a good dark chocolate cake.  If everything else was nutty, at least Braden would get a good chocolately cake!  (Dark chocolate is the way to his heart.)  I started the cake first thing in the morning to ensure it was finished by dinnertime, and the kids made banners...
...Maddie's...


...Caleb's.


Click on the pic so you can see the picture and read it, "Are we connected or are we 2?" Caleb's sense of humor.  

Maddie also decorated Braden's chair for him. 


So Braden wanted to grill steaks...the filet he cooked well but the ribeye he accidentally burnt.  Ooops.  And then Maisie fussed and yammered (LOUD) through the whole dinner.  She was tired.  We put her down fast so we could enjoy the cake (decorated by M&C) in a little bit of peace.  


But then of course Duke started getting fussy.  This is when we're singing 'Happy Birthday.'  


And this is when we finished and Braden blew out the candles.  Duke wailed and Maddie & Caleb totally ditched their daddy.  What were they looking at?!  I don't know.


The cake was Pioneer Woman's cake.  The icing was phenomenal!  The cake was so-so.  Martha Stewart's One Bowl Chocolate Cake is far better and is my go-to chocolate cake recipe.  I almost made it with PW's icing--I should have. Oh well.  It was still a tasty cake...and I noticed that none of us minded having more slices of it for dessert over the next few nights.  ;)

After cake and presents Caleb wanted to take a few pictures of Braden and me, of which this was my favorite.

So, a bit of a crazy birthday evening for Braden.  But then our life has been a bit crazy for the past few months, so I guess it's somewhat fitting...or at least to be expected.  :)

No comments: