Tuesday, May 1, 2012

our one year old

Well, our little one year old is going to be evaluated and likely get a few months of physical or occupational therapy.


Maisie is a bit behind in her gross motor skills.  She's on target or ahead in all other areas, so it is likely that she will quickly catch up in her gross motor skills.  As a teacher I know the earlier and quicker you work on a deficiency/delay, the easier it is to catch a child up and the better it is in the long run, often preventing further delays.  I'm hoping to get it all in process before the baby comes.  I should get a phone call to schedule her evaluation in the next week or so.  All of this is being done through county programs, so it is all free.  And, a really nice benefit is that since she is a baby they will come to our house to do her evaluation and any following therapies.  That was a relief for me to hear with a baby coming soon.  I was trying to think through how I was going to manage weekly or bi-weekly appts with a newborn. Of course it could be done, but this will definitely be a whole lot easier!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Micah is in infants and toddlers too, he has torticollis so we have to do physical therapy weekly. Miya had it too and we had no idea about the county and had to weekly go to shady grove hospital for physical therapy, I&T has been so much better! I really like the county program and having them come to our house has been so nice!

Will and Sena said...

We;ve used the Infants and Toddlers program since Aubrey was born (and she's 19 months now!). They are so wonderful, and you're right, it's so nice to have them come to your house. We've had a really good experience with them, our physical therapist is Eileen (she's great!).
She'll probably be finishing up soon, and I'm almost sad about it because we've built a relationship with our therapist since she was a little 3 pound preemie. =)

I'm sure Maisie will do great!
~~Sena