He drew a picture this morning, which he proudly showed me. It's of him and Maddie playing soccer on two different soccer teams. Daddy is there saying, "Go, Caleb! Go Caleb!" Caleb is saying, "Hurray! I'm winning!" And the score is Maddie's team 0, Caleb's team 20.
I said, "Caleb, don't you think if Daddy was there, he'd be cheering for you AND for Maddie?"
He thought about it and then said, "Well, I could draw YOU cheering for Maddie." So he added me saying, "Go Maddie!" and brought the picture back to show me.
Knowing exactly what he was going to do, I said, "Caleb, I don't want you to show this picture to Maddie, okay?"
"Why?"
"Well, how do you think she's going to feel when you show her a picture of you beating her?"
"...Sad."
"Yes. You will be bragging, and she'll feel like you are saying to her, Look I'm better than you! And you draw pictures like this often, and it really bothers her."
"Well, another day I can draw a picture of her winning."
"But you never do. It's always you winning. Why don't you draw a picture of her winning right now and show it to her?"He thought a moment and then he actually did.
Little steps, tiny bits of progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment