Saturday, December 17, 2011

christmas stockings

We decided tonight at dinner to let the kids reach into their stockings and pull out one item each night until Christmas.  So tonight, Caleb pulled out a new pair of gloves, and Maddie a pair of Christmas socks.

I often hear mothers lamenting the growth of their children, lamenting that babyhood has passed, that their kids are growing too fast, and I understand.  Time does move fast, and I do savor moments and memories, but I don't want my focus to be stuck there and miss the joy of what's happening right before me.  I love watching my children GROW and watching who they are becoming.  After all, I'm not raising them for me, I'm raising them for them--so that one day they'll be able to walk out my door, Lord-willing, each a godly, mature man or woman, full of love, joy, knowledge, skills and a vision for their future.  And as each age passes, sweet things are forever gone (memories I treasure), but new sweet things emerge (more memories I'll treasure). Each age is unique, with its special blessings.  Like tonight...

Caleb pulls his gloves out of his stocking, loves the flame-patterned grips, disappears, and the next thing we know he reappears sneaking around corners, ducking, dashing and hiding.  A secret spy with secret spy glasses and gloves.
Maddie slips on her fancy Christmas socks and can't help but begin to dance to the Christmas music playing in the background. Then she asks her daddy if he would dance with her.  And she twirls and kicks and dips with him. 
Tonight and its sweetness wouldn't have happened as a baby, it wouldn't have happened at 2 or 4, but it happened at 5 and 7.  And as they continue to grow, these stages too will pass.  Caleb won't always be a super spy, and Maddie won't always twirl and spin to music in a girly way.  One day they'll be adults and visiting our home, and I won't be "mommying" anymore.  But I hope to still be delighting in who they are, who they are becoming, both remembering the times we have had and enjoying the present times together. 


No comments: