When I started preschool with Bobe this past fall, I had planned to start teaching him letter sounds. However, he was not really interested (AT ALL) but was really interested in numbers. So we started with numbers instead. He has grown to LOVE school time in the morning, especially his worksheet time. He grabs his pencil box and sits down at the table, "What wawksheets am I doing today, Mommy?!" A couple weeks ago I noticed that Caleb started answering here and there during my phonics sessions with Maddie. Or when she was sounding out a word for spelling, he'd listen to her sounding it out and then tell her the word. He was also starting to ask me how to spell words. So this week, I pulled out the phonics reader and we started by going over all the letter sounds, including all the vowel sounds. He probably missed at least 10 the first day, but the next day he only missed two. I was like, this boy is ready.
Now we are starting to put the sounds together and form words. He is doing a great job! It's hard work for him, but he's very methodical about it. He read his first story from the reader today, Dan and Jan. We'll be re-reading it again tomorrow. It's so fun teaching little ones to read!
1 comment:
Xan is starting to read too, and I agree--it's so fun!
Post a Comment