Saturday, July 21, 2007

antshillvania

This post is an unusual one--it's for all my friends who grew up in the 80s listening to Music Machine, Bullfrogs & Butterflies, and such. Yesterday I got the kids in the car and set out to run a quick errand and realized I didn't have any music for them. However, I noticed there was an old cassette tape my mother-in-law had given us recently--Antshillvania. Having nothing else (and hoping it would still work!), I popped it in. I cannot remember the last time I saw a cassette tape let alone listened to one, but yes our van is old enough that it has a cassette player.

If you had asked me what I remembered about Antshillvania, I would have said, 'Antsy, antsy, antshillvania' and that's about it. But it's amazing, once I started listening to it I realized it's all still there in my memory. While I was driving, I found myself singing along in my head to every song, words coming out of nowhere. I've read that some scientists theorize that we don't forget anything, but it's just a matter of having the right 'help' to trigger the memory. I can see why they might say that.

It's great listening to it as an adult--I actually understand the cheesy humor! 'He was the command-ant' and 'I was so ignor-ant' and 'Kill the fatted aphid!' I was noticing the really vintage sound--a lot of the music is 40's jitterbuggy kind of music. But the actual sound reminded me of really old Mickey Mouse cartoons, if you've ever seen some of the originals. Then it hit me--it probably has a really 'vintage' sound because it's an old cassette tape! Hah.

Anyway, both my kids really liked the catchy music, and I found a place on the web you can order the cds. Check out: www.agapelandmusic.com (That's where the blurry photo came from.) Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

So crazy how that can bring back memories! It immediately made me think of our old house and listening to the records dancing around the living room on that blue carpet!

nonnamom said...

This is great - these have not been lost! They are truly classics for little kids!!