Monday, December 16, 2013

nov - our thankful tree

During November we had our Thankful Tree on our dining table.
I was going to have the kids add a leaf a day, but early on Maddie and Caleb got filled with thanksgiving and plastered the tree with leaves, so I just let them add on throughout the month as they wished. 
We had to gather more sticks along the way to make more branches, but I considered that to be a wonderful "problem." Even Maisie and Duke wanted to add leaves. Duke can't be left out of anything these days. 

My conversations with Duke went something like this...
Upon seeing Maddie or Caleb adding a thankful leaf to the tree:
"Mama, mama, mama!" (His generic word for any and everything desired or needed.)
"Duke, would you like to add a thankful leaf?"
"Noh." (Which means both yes and no, so you're left to figure that out.)
"Okay. What are you thankful for?"
"Ummm..."
"Are you thankful for your book?"
"Noh!"
"Okay, let's write book." (And he would hold the marker while I wrote.)
"Let's put it on the tree, Duke. There you go! Good job, Duke!"

Having a toddler as a first or second kids is fun. But having a toddler as a fourth kid has been a lot more fun for me. I think it's because he's exposed to so much, having three older siblings and two of whom are quite a bit older. It's a whole different experience. I never planned to have my kids this far apart in age, but I am really enjoying it!

No comments: