Sometimes summer dinners are just the best! Yesterday the kids and I (minus Maisie) went blackberry and peach picking. We came home with about 15 lbs of blackberries, 35 pounds of peaches, a watermelon, a huge bag of eggplants that were discounted due to an abundant harvest, and a huge bag of 'seconds' of tomatoes which were also discounted due to their slightly odd shapes.
Since I had a ton of tomatoes, tomato something was in order for dinner, and I scored big time with this simple tomato tart--mainly tomatoes with just a little bit of cheese, garlic and fresh basil. It tasted wonderful, and it smelled incredible baking! Fresh green beans and a simple green salad on the side...a yummy summer meal.
But let's not forget dessert...blackberry ice cream. Caleb gave it a thumbs up, and Maddie declared it to be delicious with her blackberry ice cream moustache & goatee.
And then this morning we had blackberry buttermilk cake. I've written about this breakfast 'cake' before. I start it the night before by mixing the buttermilk (or milk & cider vinegar) with the flour to soak overnight, and then it's mixed up and put together in about 10 minutes the next morning. Such a delicious way to start the day, especially when you have fresh blackberries.
I was telling Braden last night, there is something so fulfilling about picking fresh produce and then making delicious meals from it.

No comments:
Post a Comment